7+ Best Microlearning Platforms
What are the Best Microlearning Platforms?
Interested in the best microlearning platforms to help streamline learning information in the digital age? We’ve got a full list of options and our top recommendation!
Today, we have access to volumes of information from multiple sources all at our fingertips. It’s all too easy to get overloaded with information and over-complicate the simple things.
This is where microlearning platforms come in. LMS software with built-in microlearning authoring tools make elearning a breeze.
In this post, we will discuss how microlearning platforms are designed to help. These platforms gather as much information as you can throw at them, then streamline it in a way that makes learning and communication easy — in bite sized pieces. For instance, some platforms even use gamification as a way to engage users while they learn.
They are commonly used by large organizations to deliver corporate training and provide HR solutions. However, the right microlearning platform is equally valuable to an entrepreneur or small business in need of streamlining information and improving their workflow.
If you’re still trying to train your teams and communicate using Powerpoint, webinars, and various documents buried in files, Google Docs, and other places – using a microlearning platform is going to be a real game-changer for you.
What are microlearning platforms?
The term “microlearning” is used in education to explain a strategy of breaking down topics into short-form, stand-alone units.
By learning content then breaking down the information into smaller units, it’s easier for the recipient to digest and retain. This isn’t only true in the educational sector with elearning; similarly, it also applies to onboarding and ongoing training within organizations.
In fact, studies have shown that a strong onboarding process can improve new hire retention by 82% and productivity by over 70%.
If your onboarding materials and instructional design are less than organized and easy for new employees to follow, it could be impacting your bottom line in a big way.
As for training and continual development, IBM Training states, on average, there is a 16% increase in customer satisfaction among companies using learning technology. With the help of a microlearning course, you could soon be seeing a dramatic increase in your learner engagement.
Another strong indication that you could improve your bottom line by being adaptive and implementing microlearning software into your business.
What should you expect from the top microlearning platforms?
As with most software and tech, no two microlearning platforms are the same. Though the concept is always the same; they are designed to help you deliver training materials and track key performance metrics.
However, some core elements separate the good from the great when it comes to microlearning platforms.
The key things to look out for – which we’ve verified all the tools we’ve reviewed in this post has – are:
- Intuitive and intelligent UX designs and ease of use
- Wide range of interaction and connectivity with other tools
- Team collaboration tools
- Advanced analytics and reporting options to help you use data more efficiently
- Ability to record, create, and share training programs, materials, and information more quickly
- Mobile learning (IOs and/or android)
- Easy to use authoring tools
With this in mind, here are 7 of the best microlearning platforms to consider:
The 7+ Best Microlearning Platforms
Spekit is the #1 microlearning platform on the market. Most importantly, it is designed to help teams be more productive by automatically populating training materials and resources inside the tools they already use.
The main standout feature of Spekit is the extensive Salesforce integration. Salesforce is a leading customer relationship management solution software; integrating it with Spekit makes streamlining employee training a breeze.
The depth of tools and customizable features in Spekit are extensive. Small touches like their Chrome extension and mobile app make this tool one of the most accessible and dynamic digital enablement solutions on the market.
- Seamless integration with tools like Salesforce, Slack, and more
- Consolidate knowledge across your organization in a centralized wiki
- An intuitive and smart interface delivers a user-friendly experience
- Microlearning content surfaces contextually, across any application your team is using
- No premium onboarding support with their Basic plan
- Spekit Basics: $10/user/mo. This plan is ideal for small teams. Included is free training content, their Wiki knowledge base, Slack integration, and more.
- Spekit Premium: $15/user/mo.custom. This plan includes everything in Basics, along with Salesforce integration, unlimited content, premium onboarding, a dedicated success manager, and more.
Lessonly is a “powerfully simple” learning platform. They offer an LMS-style platform teams can use to take courses and practice training.
The core areas Lessonly say their software helps to tackle are; customer service, sales, training, and enterprise.
For instance, it does this by streamlining information in their knowledge database, automating newsletters and communications, tracking employee training, and enabling users to customize how they manage their work.
- Easy to use with minimal training required
- Clean interface and easy to create videos and share content
- Cloud-based technology makes it easy to connect with users all over the globe
- Knowledge lives outside of an employee’s day-to-day workflow
- Learning is not at the point of doing: no integrations with any tools, including Salesforce, Slack, etc.
- Limited customizations and not ideal for large teams
- Time-consuming to create, not suitable for incremental, ongoing change (ie. new field in Salesforce)
- Pro: Contact for a custom quote. This plan gives you access to their intuitive lesson builder, quizzes, surveys, event tracking, and more.
- Pro + Coaching: Contact for a custom quote. This plan opens up webcam and screen recording, as well as some practice tools and more.
Guru is a microlearning platform that uses AI to understand and predict when, where, and how you need knowledge without you having to look for it.
Think of Guru as a search engine for your organizational knowledge. Sitting within a Chrome Extension, you can use Guru to quickly search for documents, training and resources that are housed in other systems.
Moreover, it works with most of the tools you’re currently using and they have support staff on hand. Guru is a good solution if you’re looking to make it easy for teams to search for knowledge housed in other locations as they’re working.
- Ability to set expiration dates on content and verification buttons to keep content up to date
- No technical know-how or coding knowledge required
- Integrations with popular tools
- Only solves for searchability of knowledge – no tools for adoption, change management, or walk throughs
- Content isn’t contextual. For example, your team still needs to go searching for the resources or answers they need within the browser extension.
- AI doesn’t always deliver the right answers and can be frustrating for some users
- No out-of-the-box content for key tools
- Most analytics/advanced features are only available in the $25 package
- Starter Plan: FREE. Good for small teams looking to get started and try out Guru’s AI. You get the browser extension, Slack integration, GSuite and some other tools
- Builder Plan: $14/mo. This plan includes everything in the Starter plan, along with API access, analytics, knowledge triggers, and some other tools.
- Expert Plan: $24/mo. This plan includes everything in the Builder plan, along with AI suggest text and more tools.
Self-billed as “The easiest way to train and grow your team,” Trainual is a learning management system (LMS) with a wide range of training tools.
Trainual integrates with all the major platforms, such as Slack, Dropbox, Asana, Basecamp, and more. Making it easy to capture and use data from the platforms seamlessly you’re already using, and present it to your team in the best possible way.
In conclusion, an emphasis on delivering step-by-step training and improving employee efficiency, Trainual has become a valuable tool for small to medium-sized businesses looking for LMS functionality.
- The training guides with quizzes at the end are fun and engaging
- Extensive range of integration options
- Real-time reporting on progress as users work through the content
- Most importantly, a 7-day free trial so you can try before committing to a monthly plan
- Training content and resources live outside of an employee’s day-to-day workflow
- No integrations with Salesforce, Slack, etc.
- Hard to customize and add on branding
- Is lacking an in-app video platform
- Build: $49/month billed annually. This plan gives you access to unlimited documentation, templates, some training materials, and more.
- Train: $99/month billed annually. This plan gives you everything in the Build Plan + email/chat support, custom branding, Zapier integration, and more.
- Scale: $199/month billed annually. This plan gives you everything in the Train Plan + giphy & stock photos, SSO, phone support, and more.
Whatfix is a microlearning and digital adoption platform software. The core message behind this tool is to; “empower your users to make the best use of your software applications.”
For instance, it does this by providing tools to create fluid onboarding processes, effective training materials, and increasing the amount of support you offer users through contextual content when it’s needed.
Delivering step-by-step walkthroughs tailored to each individual’s needs is what makes a difference. This is what Whatfix does best, making a choice for businesses looking solely for walkthrough functionality.
- Create walkthroughs for onboarding new hires
- Detailed analytics to measure engagement
- Multiple users can easily share content and communicate
- Integrates with a wide range of other tools
- Integrates with desktop applications
- First off, it shows users where to click through walkthroughs, but doesn’t reinforce key learning and resources within a user’s day-to-day workflow
- Interface is clunky and slow at times
- Steep learning curve if you’ve not used similar software before
- No Salesforce integration
- Whatfix says they have different packages for customers to choose from but need to discuss your requirements first.
TalentLMS is an award-winning LMS that makes it easy to consolidate all of your knowledge in a single platform. In just a few clicks, you can create engaging onboarding processes, learning materials, and more.
From courses and video presentations to onboarding guides, whatever your learning demands are, you can create them easily and quickly with the TalentLMS software.
Overall, the strengths of this software are how easy it is to add multiple users, organize large amounts of data, share and communicate with other users, and scale up as your organization grows.
- Incredibly easy to use and intuitive UI layouts
- Quick and easy to create guides, videos and other training materials
- Ability to create groups and categories to organize materials
- Platform lives outside of a user’s day-to-day workflow. They must leave what they’re doing and go search for knowledge to find answers.
- Information isn’t available contextually.
- The text and code editors are complex and require basic coding knowledge
TalentLMS has a number of monthly plans that scale up as you need for additional users, for instance:
- Free: FREE. You can get started for free with up to 5 users and 10 courses.
- Starter: $59/mo. This plan enables up to 40 users and unlimited courses.
- Basic: $129/mo. This plan enables up to 100 users and unlimited courses.
- Plus: $249/mo. This plan enables up to 500 users and unlimited courses.
- Premium: $429/mo.This plan enables up to 1000 users and unlimited courses.
EduMe is a mobile-based microlearning platform that empowers on-the-go workers with the tools and technology they need to speed up and improve the way they work.
Using the software, you can create and deliver learning content directly to your team member’s mobile devices. Most importantly, sending out important time-sensitive communications in real-time.
Overall, there are some great features designed to increase morale and boost motivation, such as quizzes and feedback forms. As well as detailed insights on the backend to track team member’s engagement and performance.
- Ideal for businesses relying on mobile communications
- Provides insights into employee performance that can help make a real difference
- Easy to use, nice clean visuals to work with
- Limited compatibility with other tools
- Ideal for mobile-first businesses, not for desktop users
You’ll need to contact them for pricing and quotes.
Userguiding is a microlearning tool designed to create “clawless onboarding journeys – easily educate users.”
It does this by equipping the user with tools to segment content and personalize experiences, capture insights with NPS surveys, set and track goals, creating hotspots, and track all the important metrics with detailed analytics.
Userguiding emphasizes that no technical skills or coding is required to onboard and make the most of their software, which is a huge plus when sharing access with large teams.
It has a sleek user-interface and is relatively simple to get started. This solution is designed for onboarding and educating externally facing users (e.g. your customers), first and foremost. It’s not designed for internal employee onboarding, feature adoption, etc.
- Product walkthroughs, tours, and popups are helpful
- Detailed analytics enable intelligent insights into data
- Goal tracking features
- Quick onboarding and easy to use with limited technical knowledge
- Not designed for internal employee training and process reinforcement
- Lacking mobile support
- Analytics tools do not go into enough depth for advanced queries
- Basic Plan: $99/mo. Allows for 2,500 active users and onboarding new users and engaging customers throughout their lifecycles
- Professional Plan: $399/mo. Allows for 20,000 active users and maximizes activation, customer revenue, and retention
- Corporate plan: $699/mo. Allows for custom monthly active users ideal for enterprises with multiple products
Brainshark is designed to be an LMS solution specifically for sales teams. Therefore, if you’re spending a lot of time training your sales team, onboarding new staff members, improving retention, juggling various platforms, or just struggling to get your team on the same page – Brainshark can be a useful solution for consolidating your sales enablement materials.
This software has a range of tools, training modules, and features. But overall, it’s all geared around two important questions:
- Are your sales reps ready?
- Is all that training and coaching really working?
Brainshark gives you all the tools you need to train your reps in a uniform and quick manner. Then provides you all the data on the backend as to how they’re performing.
- Interactive video content and LMS
- It’s easy to upload presentations one slide at a time and edit/delete individual slides
- Fun and dynamic quiz options
- Powerful analytics and reporting options to measure and identify areas for improvement
- Content lives outside of your sales team’s day-to-day workflow
- Limited editing capabilities, especially when recording audio
- No flexibility when sharing content; everything goes out to the whole organization
- PRO: Contact for a custom quote. This plan gives you access to all of their content and training applications.
- Premier: Contact for a custom quote. This plan includes all the features in their Premier plan plus their Coaching and Practice tools.
Microlearning Platforms: Some Final Thoughts
In conclusion, you can see from our review of the 7 microlearning platforms above, each software has the same end goal in mind – to make elearning and streamlining workflows as simple as possible.
Overall, each microlearning software offers its own pros and cons, so a little due diligence is required to find the right fit for you and your teams.
Above all, if we had to pick an outright “best” solution, Spekit offers the best value in terms of functionality and price, making it no surprise it was ranked number one for Best ROI, easiest to use, setup, and more from G2. However, Lessonly is a close second, and Guru offers something different with an AI-first approach.
To learn more about Spekit’s microlearning platform, book a free demo today!